Dates for the diary this week:
* Tuesday 23 May: B7 and B8 bike action. Please bring in your bike today if possible. We will be learning some skills to keep us safe as well as improving our confidence.
*Wednesday 24 May SCHOOL FINISHES 1230 PM for learning celebrations.
* QUEST: New times this term. Every Tuesday and Wednesday 11am - 11.45am.
* Passion Fridays; All session times are up in the classroom.
* Mufti day Friday for Westpac Rescue, theme wigs and facial hair !!
TERM 2 LEARNING CELEBRATION
On Wednesday 24 May, our school will finish at 12.30pm so we can have a learning celebration afternoon and evening with our parents.
We are offering parents the opportunity to choose a 45-minute time slot. In this time students will share their learning, their goals, their proud moments, examples of their work and details of their classroom. The teacher will also schedule a time slot per family (during the conference time) to answer any specific questions the student or parents may have.
- Students will lead this celebration time.
- There will be between 5 and 10 minutes time planned for the teacher to share with each student and family.
- If there are bigger matters that need discussing, these need to be deferred to a separate meeting time.
- The student should be a key person in this time. Our belief is that if the discussion is about the student, their learning and wellbeing, then they need to be involved.
- If there is something personal that you would like to discuss only with the teacher, please let the teacher know.
- In the time, your child will have lots to share with you.
- There will be up to 5 other families in the room at the same time sharing their child’s learning journey.
- If your child gives you all the information you need, it is your choice whether you take up the time with the teacher, or not.
- Our staff are working from 12.30 to 8pm to provide this opportunity. Please look after them.
- On a rare occasion when we have a parent come in who is upset about something; our advice is – Respect the Person.“The problem is the problem; the person is never the problem”
- Control your emotions and think “How can I help?”
- Book a separate time with the teacher.
HOW TO BOOK A LEARNING CELEBRATION TIME?
- Go to the website www.schoolinterviews.co.nz and enter our school code: k23pp
- You will need your child’s 2017 year, classroom, and name of teacher, to complete your booking.
- Enter these details and choose a time that suits you. You will receive an emailed confirmation of your booking.
- If you are unable to complete your booking online, please either:
- Email email@example.com with child/rens names and preferred times or
- Call into the school office and fill out a booking sheet.
- A brochure outlining what to expect, frequently asked questions and how you can make this a successful and positive experience can be viewed here.
YOU MUST COLLECT YOUR CHILD AT 12.30PM UNLESS THEY ARE BOOKED INTO AFTER SCHOOL CARE
UNIFORM REGULATIONS FOR THE COOLER WEATHER
For extra warmth, plain polypropylene or woollen thermal undergarments in plain navy blue, black or white may be worn.
Black or blue tights (not leggings) may be worn with dresses and cullottes in winter.
Non School Jackets can be worn to and from school only.
Only plain black shoes, plain black trainers with plain black laces, or, plain black sandals with heel straps, are permitted. High heel shoes and shoes above ankle height are not permitted. Shoes must be worn to and from the school grounds and on school trips. Socks are to be plain black, plain navy blue or plain white. See requirements below.
Any shoe with a white or any colour other than black rim is not acceptable. The shoe must be plain black as you look at it from the front, back and side.
A big thank you to those who have made a real effort to improve your times table knowledge. Keep at it; we have started working on multiplication, division and fractions which anyone will struggle at without a strong times table recall.
We have all completed and marked our spelling lists which we are working on at present. Please practice these at home if you feel you need extra time to tackle them. Ask Mr T for a copy of your spelling list to take home.
For writing this week we are finishing off descriptive writing for the term. This week we are creating a short descriptive piece that showcases everything we have learned from the end of last term and this term, including:
-Descriptive writing using 'show not tell' (adding more detail as well as more interesting adverbs and adjectives)
-Dialogue writing (using correct punctuation and layout as well as dressing up our dialogue with detail and description about the characters)
-Figurative language (adding similes and metaphors)
In maths we are putting our addition, subtraction, multiplication and division skills to the test learning about perimeter and area. We are building up to working out volume and capacity which links in well with our chemical change inquiry.
Come and have a look inside our classroom. We have finished our 'Hundertwasser' inspired pastel art. Our bright, interesting and imaginative styles are on display and looking so good! This term we will be working with paint and dye, producing some more exciting designs. Watch this space for more information.
Passion Friday activity lists are up in the classroom. Please do not be alarmed if you have not received your requested activities. Everyone will get a turn, we just need to be patient and wait for the next draw of activities.
We will be have a large focus on fitness and Physical Education. Please let Mr T know (a note or email will do) if you are unwell or physically unable to take part for some reason. We will be learning new sports and new sports skills as well as increasing our general fitness. We will be learning how to play netball and hockey this term.
Table tennis and badminton are now offered on Monday and Wednesday lunchtimes in the hall; get into it!
Please remember to bring a water bottle into school to maintain good health and concentration, (but remember to keep water and food away from your device when transporting).